FOCUS is needed to Influence
B. Kim Barnes, author of the book "Exercising Influence," said that to become an effective influencer, one must have FOCUS.
- Be open to alternative means for as long as the outcome goal shall be achieved.
- For example, this may include working with other groups, foster shared ownership, in order to achieve the goal.
- Design in a way that you can see whether you are nearly achieving the goal or not, then adjust.
- Have a clear target that you can control like achieving a revenue target or target number of members.
- It must be optimistic, with a degree of success or failure risk, to make the effort worthwhile.
- Be ambitious in order to make it worthwhile, whether you succeed or fail.
- Achieve longer term important results, not short term ego needs.
- Influence activities must be aligned with big picture goals.